Director of Virtual Design and Construction
At Rogers-O'Brien Construction, our vision is clear: To be Texas' Premier Builder, delivering excellence and expertise to our valued customers through all aspects of our business. Since 1969, Rogers-O'Brien has firmly established itself in the commercial construction industry as Texas' Premier Builder and General Contractor by delivering high-quality buildings in various market sectors, exceeding the most demanding expectations. Over the years, Rogers-O'Brien has built a strong reputation as an innovative company and has developed and implemented construction technology processes and solutions recognized worldwide. As a result, Rogers-O'Brien has conducted numerous speaking sessions at industry-leading conferences and had successes and highlights published in industry outlets across the globe. Providing "A Better Way" is one of our culture's core values. We believe that the future is bright with possibilities and that the opportunities of continually finding "A Better Way" to build are endless.
Virtual Design and Construction
Learn more about our company and our history here - https://r-o.com/about
Today, we are looking for a talented, self-driven, energetic leader with a minimum of seven (7) years experience in VDC, construction tech, consulting, project management, or executive management, who loves combining strategy with execution. This individual will be responsible for bringing thought leadership, setting long-term strategy, creating and managing departmental objectives, providing operational leadership, and defining a data-driven decision-making process for the department such that it aligns with the company's vision, values, and objectives. This position will be responsible for developing and rolling out well-conceived project delivery methodology, bringing all regions under a common service delivery platform, establishing best practices that ensure desired results, and helping scale existing functions to meet the company's growth strategy.
This position will report directly to the Chief Innovation Officer and will directly manage the regional VDC Managers.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
Vision & Strategy
- Under the Chief Innovation Officer's guidance, align and implement the company's strategy and initiatives serving as the leader of the VDC department and its team members.
- Oversee the definition, development, and strategy of the VDC department empowering Rogers-O'Brien to occupy a powerful role in the Texas construction ecosystem and create a reputation across the greater country and industry.
- Collaborate with other departments to build, drive, and improve our documentation, tools, and processes regarding BIM and everything 3D.
- Track and understand the processes and techniques used by competition in the market and push to stay ahead of the curve while improving workflow efficiencies.
- Hire, train, and coach your team such that they consistently set the highest standard of experience for our partners and customers and are personally and professionally fulfilled by their work.
- Create and seek out professional development opportunities for your team.
- Responsible for ensuring the overall performance, success, and support of VDC techniques, processes, and services across all departments.
- Develop BIM Guidelines and Standards and oversee their implementation throughout the organization.
- Direct the VDC department; lead speculative conversations with internal stakeholders regarding project pursuits and support; assess and socialize opportunities; manage relationships and strategy.
- Must be capable of working with and supporting the IT staff during research, implementation, training, and support of technologies in which VDC and IT overlap.
- Work in close cooperation with the Quality Department to deliver services that meet the needs of their initiatives.
Profit & Loss
- Responsible for VDC's profitability, success, and client satisfaction.
- Develop and manage annual department budget.
- Be able to identify and analyze the risk and rewards of proposed innovation initiatives.
- Attend/speak at industry conferences and participate in webinars to highlight RO's successes and processes.
- Partner closely with Marketing team for co-marketing opportunities, like case studies with partners and customers.
- Provide thought leadership and data insight to Rogers-O'Brien and the industry through demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends in VDC technology, solutions, vendors, innovation leaders, and early adopters.
- Ownership and Attention to Detail - You are thorough, and following through is personally important to you. If you are asked a question, you will work hard to find the correct answer.
- Empathetic - You can put yourself in others' shoes to understand their experience from their perspective.
- Good Listener - You seek to understand first before being understood.
- Good Communicator - You have a knack for succinctly explaining complex issues and knowing when someone "gets it" or not. You are an exacting writer and can communicate equally well over email or the phone. (lots of email correspondence in this job)
- Reliable - You don't mind getting into a 9-5 routine. You have a personal need to see projects through to the end.
- Technical Aptitude - You know the answer or know how to Google your way to a solution.
- Comfortable with Ambiguity - We work in a fast-paced environment that is continuously changing. The way forward is not always black and white, but we must decide to move forward and then adapt, as new information becomes available.
- Team Player - When you have direction, you have no problem charging ahead, but you also aren't afraid to raise your hand if you encounter something that's over your head—no one knows everything, and we all have to support each other. Vulnerability is a great leadership trait.
- Passionate - You demonstrate enthusiasm towards an idea, proposal, or cause that helps drive it forward.
- Strong business acumen and proven ability to lead teams and complex projects.
- Understanding of the overall construction process and the roles of each key stakeholder.
- Understanding of the duties of various departments within the company.
- Must have experience working in Architecture, Engineering, and/or Construction field using Revit and Navisworks.
- Working knowledge of Revit, Navisworks, Bluebeam, AutoCAD, Sketchup, Microsoft Office, and other core software programs.
Education & Experience
- Architectural, Engineering, or Computer Science bachelor's degree or higher.
- Seven years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams in multiple regions.
- Innovative and very technically proficient.
- CM-BIM recommended (but not required)
- 70% office environment.
- 30% field environment (job site visits, etc.).
- Ability to work under and appropriately handle stress required.
- May be exposed to high, medium, or low noise intensity.
- Constant contact with co-workers is required.
- This is a full-time position. Regular and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
- 1-2 out-of-town trips per month expected. (mostly day trips to Austin, San Antonio, or Houston).
- Constant adequate range of motion and mobility required.
- Regular sitting or standing, bending or stooping, and the ability to carry equipment and other such items as packaged material weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Frequent talking and the ability to express and exchange ideas utilizing language.
- Ordinary hearing and the ability to perceive the nature of sounds.
- Regular near acuity with clarity of vision at 20 inches or less required.
- Constant ability to read, record or type data quickly and accurately required.
- Typical ability to collect and analyze numerical and written data and verbal information to reach logical conclusions and determine the time, place, and sequence of operations or actions required.
- Possess general knowledge and competency of computer hardware and software
- Possess an expert level knowledge of critical software applications (AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks, etc.)
Additional VDC Department BenefitsConferences & Travel
- Large/National Conferences (employee's choice, one per year)
- Autodesk University – Las Vegas, NV
- Consumer Electronics Show – Las Vegas, NV
- SXSW South by Southwest – Austin, TX
- Association of General Contractors – San Juan, Puerto Rico (varies)
- Revit Technology Conference – Washington, DC (varies)
- Small/Regional Conferences (employee's choice, one per year)
- BIMForum – San Diego, CA (varies, 3 per year)
- Bluebeam eXtreme – Los Angeles, CA
- AEC Hackathons (varies, many per year)
- ENR FutureTech
University Visits & RecruitingThe VDC department supports RO's recruiting efforts with technology demonstrations and speaking engagements at universities, job fairs, and collegiate competitions. VDC employees are encouraged to support these activities at local and regional universities, such as:
- Texas A&M
- Texas Tech
- Texas State
- University of Texas
- Oklahoma University
- Brigham Young University
Research & Development
Each VDC employee is expected to spend 2-4 hours per week on research and development. Past research projects have included such technology as:
- Google Glass
- Oculus Rift (pilot phase)
- Augmented Reality
- Quadcopters (in use company-wide)
- Unity Gaming Engine
- HoloLens (1 & 2)