Semiconductor Building Renovation

Richardson, Texas

Industrial
image description

Originally known as the Semiconductor-Components (SC) building, this structure housed the first fabrication lab of its kind designed to facilitate collaboration amongst engineers, technicians and administrators. This architecturally significant building, designed by Texas-Modernist, O’Neil Ford was constructed in 1958 and includes a revolutionary umbrella-like concrete structural system. Various business units including Manufacturing, Micro Controllers, Talent Development and Education Technology currently called the historic SC building home.

Rogers-O’Brien was hired to renovate 225,000 SF of the SC building to include a state-of-the-art office and training environment, planned and constructed utilizing LEED sustainability principals to promote energy-efficiency and employee wellness. The renovation included high-quality level 4 and 5 finishes while being sensitive to Ford’s original design intent and modernist selection of materials. The project scope included over 550 system furniture modules, multiple open-concept collaboration labs rich in technology resources, two auditoriums (300 seats total), cafeteria and break room renovations, and multiple break-out and conferences rooms, all supported by a network of high-tech infrastructure and state-of-the-art technology upgrades ensuring connectivity and collaboration. The cold-dark-shell renovation was delivered to the market-place in four months in-spite-of challenges associated with renovation of a high-security environment where badging requirements limit construction staff access to the site and workspace.

Project Photos

View All